lately i had massive problems as i was moving from a gentoo server to a nix os server probably caused by different php versions but i’m not absolutely sure. anyway as the clean skin  was broken with the more recent php version.
wasn’t it the fault of different mediawiki versions?
i did copy my old mediawiki (and the clean skin) on a 1:1 basis to my nix os based server resulting in the same layout problems compared to using the most recent mediawiki from scratch.
therefore i conclude that issues i fixed are not caused by mediawiki.
finally i decided to hack the skin to make it work again and i came up with 3 small modifications to the code and the skin was working again! after contacting Kevin Hughes about my changes he decided to release the next version of his skin cc-by-sa/3.0 which is great!
but he also said that he is not hosting the skin anymore, that means: the clean skin has a new home  (namely my repository). of course, as it is open source now you can also host it on any other page. but i would welcome other modifications to be done collaboratively.
dear kevin hughes – thank you so much for that great skin!